Monday, December 3, 2007

Calm before the Storm

There are two ways of being rich. One is to have all that you want. The other is to be satisfied with all that you have.


There are so many rumours about a major announcement to be made by the power that be of the company on restructuring exercise for several divisions. As the small pawn trying to make the ends meet in this company, this kind of rumour normally do not concern me that much. However this time for some reason, the rumours kinda affects many people including me, to some extend due to the unexpected turn of events lately especially when Penang has been hit by major blackout. Rumour has it that we may have new leader in the division and some also say that our department will be split to join other division. To me, whatever it is, for such announcement to be made, it must have been a long and thoroughly planned event irrespective of what has transpired in the last 2-3 weeks. The event on November 20th was just an icing on the cake for some people.


For the last twenty years, I have seen many things as a worker of the company. CEO' or Presidents came and went. VPs and GMs retired and rehired. People got sacked for disciplinary issues and people got transferred because of bad discipline. However, I am still could not grasp the idea of people got 24 hour transferred because of one major blackout. Really come to think of it, good power engineers are only good in absentia. If anybody suffers no blackout at all, chances are nobody will even think about them and let alone to thank him or her for the job well done. It is always easy to point finger to anybody but the truth is, it's hard to accept the fact that we are also part of the problem. Last week during the conference in Sunway, I was quite impressed on how Petronas took the initiatives to reduce the power quality problem that has been plaguing them due to faults in the supply system. I guess that's why there are No 18 in the world now. They choose to solve their own problem rather than asking others to solve theirs. I still believe that any achievement of an organization are the result of the combined efforts of each individual. And that also applies to any major failure. Simply put, blaming an individual for something that is done collectively is as good as ignoring the real issues. But then again, blaming is always easy to do.


I am also expecting a lateral change real soon. My new portfolio will be even more challenging and also will be more complicated based on the amount of resources available. But that kind of situation is quite normal to me having to experience it twice in my career already. About five years ago I was asked by the CEO of the company then to start up a small unit in a subsidiary company. I think that was one of the most rewarding time in my whole career. I did a lot of setting up before a proper unit can be managed. At the same time, I also had RM5 mill contract to deliver. It was tough but alhamdullilah, I think I managed quite OK. The present position where I am now was also started with minimum manning level and uncoordinated processes. Alhamdullilah, after more than three years managing it I think I have done just enough for a new leader to set in and contribute new ideas. I am always reminding myself and other that when we work with a company, we are not to make ourselves indispensable. We should strive for clear process and transparent operation so that everyone knows whats going on. The danger of being indispensable is that we will not be able to generate new leader and ideas and worse still, the company may have to retain a worker longer than required. Although I am bit disappointed on the way things finally turns into in the light of my boss promotion, I like to see things as positive. In life, what sometimes appears to be the end is really a new beginning and new beginning promises a lot. I am also beginning to feel that load is heavier now, but to me, is it a sign that I am climbing, and whatever it is I can only appreciate it when I can reach it.


In life change is inevitable. However, it is not the changes we take, but it’s the choice we make that determines our destiny...

No comments:

Post a Comment