Monday, November 10, 2008

In Need for A Bridged Camera..

It's been quite sometimes since I did my last purchase on anything related with camera. With the progress of camera technology in the last two years, my collection of photograpy paraphernalia may be a little bit outdated and probably requires timely upgrade!

For awhile I have been thinking to get a good all-round bridged camera that fits my need for wide-angle and telephoto capability during the time when I need to travel light without having to lug around my DSLRs. My superb Canon G7 is no longer with me as I have given it to my eldest daughter before her departure to Jordan several months back. It is a very good camera and considering the quality photos it can generate, I would strongly suggest it to any aspiring photographer. Recently Canon has announced even a new G Series model called Canon G10. I have a chance to play with this camera last week when I visited the Camera shop in Pertama Complex and these are soem highlights of the camera.

* 14.7-megapixel digital camera for the highest image quality
* 5x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer plus a 28mm wide-angle lens
* New DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves Face Detection, adds Servo AF, Face Detection * Self-Timer and Intelligent Contrast Correction
* Red-eye Correction provides 3 options for removing red-eye in flash pictures.
* Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG
* Large 3.0-inch PureColor LCD II


Price wise, I m still not very sure but I guess I can get it at about the same amount with the price of my previous G7 model.

The other bridged camera that I am seriuosly considering is the Fujifilm Finepix S100FS. This camera has won several accolades including the 2008 TIPA Award.The lens covers focal lengths of 28mm-400mm equivalent and aperture stop settings. Because of the composite body and lens structure, there is no penetration of dirt and dust onto the CCD of a bright F 2.8 (wide angle) or F5.3 (telephoto).

A feature set borrowed from the S5 Pro incorporated some of the FinePix S5 Pro’s features that have been most appreciated by professional photographers, including film simulation modes and settings that expand the camera’s dynamic range. The FinePix S100FS has an extended dynamic range (100, 200, 400 percent ) that is similar to that of negative film, thanks to the newly developed 2/3-inch, 11.1-megapixel SuperCCD VIII "HR" and the new RP Processor III.

Another prominent features is the Dual Image Stabilization to ensure clean, sharp and blur-free images, even in low-light conditions. This combines image stabilization through a mechanically stabilized "floating" lens element to reduce blur from the photographer’s hand-shake, with Fujifilm’s Picture Stabilization Technology, to reduce blur caused by subject movement, for the ultimate in stabilization technology. High-speed shooting Reliable high-speed performance is possible through Fujifilm’s newly developed Super CCD VIII "HR" and the new image processor RP (Real Photo) III Processor. At 3-megapixels, a maximum of 50 continuous shots at 7 frames/second is possible. .

Movie Mode Movie mode with sound at 30 frames per second in VGA quality, and zoom capable with manual zoom ring while in movie mode.

xD/SD/SDHC-compatible slot The FinePix S100FS features an xD/SD-compatible slot, which accepts not only Fujifilm’s traditional xD-Picture Cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity/SDHC cards too.

2.5-inch tiltable LCD The FinePix s100FS features a tilting 2.5-inch LCD that makes it easy to frame shots from a variety of shooting positions.



The retail price of this baby is around RM2500 and I think it's a bit pricey for a 3/4 DSLR camera. However, many reviews that I read put this camera among the best of the 3/4 DSLR and this definitely justify the price...

The other camera under my serious consideration is the Olympus SP-570UZ 10MP camera.


The most prominent feature of the Olympus is the Dual Image Stabilization which enables users to take crisp, clear pictures in virtually any shooting situation. Olympus’ mechanical Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization keeps images sharp by adjusting the CCD to compensate for camera shake, which often occurs when zooming in on your subject and in low-light conditions when shutter speeds are slower. Digital Image Stabilization freezes the action with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds that prevent blur caused by a moving subject. The street price for this baby is RM1450 and with this price tag it's sure will catch my attention a lot !

The forth bridged camera that I reviewed is the new Canon S10 IS 10MP camera. The specification of this camera almost similar to the G10 except it has only 10MP and 2.5 inch swivel LDC screen. The plus point is it has 20x Zoom which is four time higher than the G10. This is equivalent to 28mm-500mm lens. WOW!!


Price wise, the Canon Sx10 IS is about RM300-350 cheaper than the G10 and again with this price tag, It is sure to be a luring attribute for me to get it soon...

VERDICT

Although the Fujifilm Finepix S100fs is expensive, it is obvious by now that this is the bridged camera for me. However, I might want to wait for a while until the price drops to below 2K. In fact in the states, the price is something in the region of US600 and I won't be surprise that this price can also be obtained here locally. My second choice would be the Canon SX10 IS simply due to its telefoto capability. Really, the G10 is only a winner to SX10 due to its larger pixel of 14.1MP and 3 inch LCD which can be traded off for other features.

No comments:

Post a Comment